Print

Dear Colleagues,

I am sharing the announcement below on behalf of Ian Spangler, Assistant Curator of Digital & Participatory Geography, Leventhal Map & Education Center at the Boston Public Library.

Best,

Anna

Hi folks:

I'm writing on behalf of the Leventhal Map & Education Center<https://www.leventhalmap.org/> (LMEC) to share an exciting opportunity for folks working at the intersection of librarianship, civic data, and digital humanities.

Last year, LMEC partnered with the team at Civic Switchboard<https://civic-switchboard.github.io/> to host a 2-day institute at the Boston Public Library (BPL) focused on how library workers can serve as intermediaries between community members and civic data<https://civic-switchboard.github.io/assets/guide/Connecting_Libraries_and_Civic_Data.pdf> (it's part of a larger set of institutes<https://civic-switchboard.github.io/2024-institutes/> focused on the same topic, spanning the entire U.S.).

Applications are now open for the Boston Institute<https://civic-switchboard.github.io/application-boston/>, which will be held June 27-28 at BPL. Its main goals include:

  *   Connecting with other regional library workers and expand a community of practice focused on libraries and civic data;
  *   Exploring your civic data ecosystem and potential roles for your library;
  *   Connecting with exemplars of library civic data intermediary work by engaging with the work of host sites;
  *   Discovering critical dimensions of data work, including power, social justice, and responsible data practices to mitigate harms;
  *   Helping improve civic data educational materials for a library audience.

On day 2 of the Boston Institute, LMEC staff will also spend some time discussing our own work with civic data, from both research/reference and collections<https://data.leventhalmap.org/#/> perspectives.

We would love to see library workers who also have interests in the digital humanities participate in the institute. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly<https://www.leventhalmap.org/about/people/ian-spangler/> if you have any questions about the application or the institute itself. Thanks for your attention!

Cheers,
Ian Spangler
Assistant Curator of Digital & Participatory Geography
Leventhal Map & Education Center
Boston Public Library

Anna E. Kijas
Head, Lilly Music Library