Hi DH folks,

I’d like to extend an invitation to you from the MEI Pedagogy Interest Group. This Friday, April 29, 2022 at 10 AM (EDT) we will host a virtual session on "CRIM Intervals: Teaching a Machine to Read (and Understand) Renaissance Music with MEI and Music21" with Richard Freedman (John C. Whitehead 1943 Professor for the Humanities; Chair and Professor of Music at Haverford College)

Please register at https://forms.gle/B2PwUNGYA6CPQ7n17. Further details can be found below:

Music21 is familiar to many in the music encoding community as a powerful Python library for music analysis.  But it can be challenging to use in a pedagogical environment. CRIM Intervals(part of the Citations:  The Renaissance Imitation Mass) now makes it surprisingly easy for students and scholars to find, analyze, and visualize all kinds of patterns (melodic, harmonic, rhythmic, contrapuntal) found in encoded scores (MEI, MusicXML, even MIDI), using PANDAS (Python for Data Analysis), all in an interactive Jupyter Notebook environment that is easily accessible without elaborate local installation of software.

In this session, Richard Freedman will explain the workings of CRIM Intervals, and demonstrate what can be done with Jupyter Notebooks as we search for melodic subjects, harmonic patterns, fugal entries, cadences, and more. Our notebooks will also run in via a server hosted at Haverford College, so anyone in the session can try them out!

Project links: https://crimproject.org/ | https://sites.google.com/haverford.edu/crim-project/search-and-analysis | https://github.com/HCDigitalScholarship/intervals

Best,

Anna

Co-Chair, MEI Pedagogy Interest Group

Anna E. Kijas

Head, Lilly Music Library

Granoff Music Center

Tufts University

20 Talbot Avenue, Medford, MA 02155

Pronouns: she, her, hers

Book an appointment | (617) 627-2846

To unsubscribe from the BOSTONDH list, click the following link:
https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=BOSTONDH