Print

Dear all,

Please join us virtually via Zoom on June 2, at 2–3pm (Eastern) for a talk by Pratim Sengupta and Ariel Ducey of the University of Calgary. “Symbolic Violence and the Complex Art of Modeling Pain” will share important research into the intersections of human experience and technology.

This event is free and open to the public, but registration is required. RSVP here: https://forms.gle/ynnNHXAFrHQqx7fU6.

Talk Description:

In this talk, we present our struggles with naming and modeling pain in human experiences in technological spaces. We will share insights from two projects, one that focuses on modeling and understanding our experiences of racial segregation and othering as emergent systems, and one that seeks to identify the relationship between technologies and pain in the context of medical care. We will illustrate forms of symbolic violence enacted in technocentric disciplinary spaces that result in erasing and hiding accounts of pain and loss, and how expansive approaches to representation and modeling can help us identify and understand the often-missing moral horizon in computing education and medical work.

Speaker Bios:

Pratim Sengupta is a Professor of Learning Sciences at the University of Calgary. His scholarship is at the intersection of modelling complex systems, multi-agent systems, conceptual art and social justice. He recently co-authored Voicing Code in STEM: A Dialogical Imagination (MIT Press, along with Dr. Amanda Dickes and Dr. Amy Farris), and his collaborative, open source, computational installations of complex systems have been exhibited at MoMA, NYC, Canada’s National Music Center, Banff Center for Arts and Creativity, Telus SPARK Science Center, Calgary, etc.

Ariel Ducey is an Associate Professor in the Department of Sociology, University of Calgary. Her research centers on issues of responsibility, ethicality, knowledge, and emotions in the institutions and practices of health care and medicine. Her book, Never Good Enough (Cornell 2009), examined the creation and justification of a billion-dollar industry for training, upgrading, and multiskilling unionized, frontline health care workers in New York City, in the midst of widespread restructuring of the health care sector.

To make space for informal discussions and community building, this event will not be recorded. Automated closed captioning will be provided through Zoom. See the NULab events page for more details: https://cssh.northeastern.edu/nulab/events/.

We hope to see you there!

Sarah

Sarah Connell

Assistant Director

NULab for Texts, Maps, and Networks

Northeastern University

To unsubscribe from the BOSTONDH list, click the following link:
https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=BOSTONDH