Hello all,

Here’s a list of some of our upcoming DH Open Office Hours and other DH events in February:

All our Open Office Hours sessions this semester will be virtual -- held on Wednesdays from 12:15 to 1:00 via Zoom unless otherwise noted.  We’re starting at 12:15 to give everyone time to get lunch and take a stretch break between virtual meetings.

Please note, if you would like to participate in one of these sessions please register through the Northeastern Library Calendar (links below). Anyone can register, but this helps us keep our events secure.  When you register you will receive a calendar invitation with a Zoom link *as an attachment* to the confirmation email (and not in the body of the email itself). You can register at any time up until the end of each session.

February 10, 12:15-1:00pm - The Critical Fan Toolkit: Digital, Public Dissertations and User Experience (rescheduled from 2020)

RSVP here: https://northeastern.libcal.com/event/7132262

In this session, Cara Marta Messina will introduce the pilot of her digital, public dissertation titled "The Critical Fan Toolkit: Fan Fanfiction Genres, Ideologies, and Pedagogies." She will provide a brief description of the project, share a few findings, and discuss the process of creating the digital toolkit. Then, audience members will explore the toolkit on their own as well as take a brief user-experience survey, followed by a group discussion.

***Please note the early start time and Friday date for this event!***

February 12, 12:00-1:00pm - Douglass Day Transcribe-a-thon

RSVP here: https://northeastern.libcal.com/calendar/snell/douglass2021

Join the Digital Scholarship Group, the Women Writers Project, and the NULab for Texts, Maps, and Networks in our celebration of Douglass Day, an event honoring the life and birthday of Frederick Douglass. In this event, we will be transcribing the papers of Mary Church Terrell, an educator, women’s rights advocate, and civil rights activist, using the Library of Congress’s By the People platform. After a brief welcome and introduction, we will split into smaller groups for the transcriptions.

This event connects with the national Douglass Day, an annual celebration organized, in part, by The Colored Conventions Project, with local events happening across the country on February 12 and 14. More information about this year’s national Douglass Day can be found here: https://douglassday.org/home/. Past and present supporters of Douglass Day include: The Center for Black Digital Research at Penn State, the Colored Conventions Project, the Anna Julia Cooper Digital Project, the Moorland-Spingarn Research Center at Howard University, the Princeton University Center for Digital Humanities, the PSU Libraries, the PSU Center for Humanities and Information, and the PSU College of Liberal Arts, the American Studies Association for a Community Partnership Grant, and Zooniverse.

February 17, 12:15-1:00pm - Update from the Boston Research Center

RSVP here: https://northeastern.libcal.com/event/7505835

In this session, Dory Klein and Amanda Rust will provide an update on the Boston Research Center, particularly focusing on their work collecting community oral histories in the time of COVID-19.

To unsubscribe from the BOSTONDH list, click the following link:
https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=BOSTONDH