Print

Hello all,

Welcome to the Fall 2020 semester! All of this semester’s Digital Humanities (DH) Open Office Hours will be virtual -- held on Wednesdays from 12:15 to 1:00pm via Zoom.  We’re starting at 12:15 to give everyone time to get lunch and take a stretch break between virtual meetings. We have a terrific line up of sessions this year starting with our September Open Office Hours events, below

Upcoming DH Open Office Hours in September:

Please note, if you would like to participate in one of these sessions you must register through the Northeastern Library Calendar (links below). Anyone can register, but this helps us keep our events secure.  When you register you will receive a calendar invitation with a Zoom link. You can register at any time up until the end of each session.

September 16, 12:15-1:00pm - Welcome New Graduate Students! An Introduction to the DH Community at Northeastern

RSVP here: https://northeastern.libcal.com/event/7077687

Meet the digital humanities community at Northeastern! The inaugural session of the Fall 2020 "Digital Humanities Open Office Hours" is geared towards new graduate student cohorts in DH-related disciplines. Faculty, staff, and students will gather to introduce themselves and share information. Join us to meet others interested in the digital humanities and learn about the wide variety of digital humanities programs, projects, events, and support at Northeastern.

September 23, 12:15-1:00pm - Web Accessibility

RSVP here: https://northeastern.libcal.com/event/7082178

With so many projects moving online this semester, September is an ideal time to discuss how to incorporate accessibility at the beginning of your project. In this workshop on accessibility in online projects, attendees will learn about ability and disability on the web, how JavaScript and CSS affect web pages, how to communicate page content in an accessible way and some techniques and tools for testing your site. The workshop will be led by Ash Clark, XML Applications Developer with the Digital Scholarship Group, and Jeanine Rodriguez, Web Developer with Northeastern’s Library Technology Services.

September 30, 12:15-1:00pm - DH in the Dissertation

RSVP here: https://northeastern.libcal.com/event/7082232

In this session, graduate students in the English and History departments will facilitate a discussion on incorporating the digital humanities into dissertations. Abbie Levesque is integrating coding and digital work into a traditional dissertation, Molly Nebiolo is working on a traditional dissertation with a stand-alone digital component for her research, and Cara Marta Messina is working on a completely digital dissertation. Join us to hear more about their dissertation strategies and to talk about ways that DH and the dissertation can co-exist.

I look forward to seeing everyone at our fall sessions. If you have any questions or ideas for future sessions, please feel free to email me at [log in to unmask]

Best,

Alicia

To unsubscribe from the BOSTONDH list, click the following link:
https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=BOSTONDH