Print

Dear all,

I’m writing now to share the NULab’s spring 2020 calendar of events,
included below and summarized in the attached flyer. We have some very
exciting talks, workshops, and panels planned for the spring, organized
around our year-long theme: “technologies of democracy.” You can find
additional details and registration information for these events at:
www.northeastern.edu/nulab/events.

We’ll share any updates or newly-added events on the NULab events page;
we’ll also circulate these through the NUDIGITAL list. If you’re not
already on this list, we encourage you to subscribe: it’s a shared
announcement and discussion list that brings together all areas of digital
scholarship, digital humanities, computational social science, media
studies, and other related fields at Northeastern University. To subscribe
to the list, just visit: https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=NUdigital
and click “subscribe” on the right-hand side of the page.

These events are free and open to the public, but some require
registration. Guests from outside the Northeastern community who wish to
attend NULab-hosted events should RSVP to Sarah Connell at

Please share this message with anyone you know who might be interested and
contact me with any questions you might have.

We hope to see you this spring!

All my best,

Laura Johnson
NULab Coordinator
Northeastern University

*NULab Spring 2020 Calendar of EventsSeries on Technologies of Democracy*

*Every Wednesday, 12–1pm, Digital Scholarship Commons (Snell Library, 2nd
Floor)*
DH Open Office Hours
*Co-sponsored with the Digital Scholarship Group (DSG) in the Northeastern
University Library*

*January 22, 12–1pm, Digital Scholarship Commons*
NULab Grant Recipients Lightning Talks
Featuring: Abbie Levesque, Avery Blankenship, Molly Nebiolo, and Laura
Johnson
*Co-sponsored with the DSG*
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/grant-session-one/

*February 5, 12–1pm, Digital Scholarship Commons*
NULab Grant Recipients Lightning Talks
Featuring: Cara Marta Messina, Ryan Gallagher, and Sarah Shugars
*Co-sponsored with the DSG*
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/grants-session-two/

*February 12, 12–1:30pm, Digital Scholarship Commons*
Douglass Day Transcribe-a-thon
*Co-sponsored with the DSG  *
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/douglass-2020/

*February 19, 1–2:30pm, 440 Curry Student Center*
Visiting speaker: Dariusz Jemielniak, Kozminski University
“Collaborative Society: How Technology Amplifies on Natural Cooperative
Tendencies”
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/dariusz-jemielniak/

*February 24, 1:30–3pm, 440 Curry Student Center*
“Speed Data-ing” research collaboration event
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/speed-data-ing-2020/

*March 10, 12–1pm, 177 Huntington Ave., 11th floor*
Visiting speaker: Jennifer Pan, Stanford University
“You Won’t Believe How the Chinese Government Uses Clickbait!”
*Co-sponsored with the Department of Political Science*
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/jennifer-pan/

*March 11, 12–1:30pm, 90 Snell Library*
Visiting speakers: Lauren Klein, Emory University, and Catherine D’Ignazio,
MIT, co-authors of *Data Feminism*
*Co-sponsored with the DSG*
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/klein-dignazio/

*March 19, 3–5pm, 102 ISEC*
Computation + Journalism pre-conference event
Full details TBD
*Co-sponsored with the School of Journalism*
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/c-j-preconference/

*March 27, 9:30am–5pm, 90 Snell Library*
NULab Spring Conference: “Technologies of Democracy”
Keynote speaker: Patricia Williams, Northeastern University
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/spring-conference-2020/

*March 31, 11am–12pm, 342 Curry Student Center*
Visiting speaker: Oliver Ayers, New College of the Humanities
“Mapping Black London in World War II”
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/oliver-ayers/

*April 7, 11am–12pm, Digital Scholarship Commons*
NULab Fellows Research Presentations
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/fellows-2020/

*NULab/Shorenstein Center Misinformation Speaker Series*

*All talks in this series will be held at 12–1:30pm, Harvard Kennedy
School, 434 WexnerFor updates and more information on these events, please
see here <https://scholar.harvard.edu/mbaum/misinformation-series-2019-20>.*

   - *February 5*—David G. Rand, Sloan School, MIT
   - *February 12*—Andrew Guess, Princeton University
   - *February 26*—Yochai Benkler, Harvard Law School
   - *March 11*—Young Mie Kim, University of Wisconsin-Madison
   - *April 8*—Natalie Jomini Stroud, University of Texas at Austin

--
*Laura Johnson (she/her)*
Ph.D. Student, English