Print

Good Afternoon....

I attended FDP last month, and as you all know, the government was shutdown, so only the NIH was in attendance (they are funded through DOD and were not affected by the shutdown).  Unfortunately, NSF was not in attendance, and I was unable to relay your reported concerns and get feedback at the meeting.

Now that the government is re-opened (for now!), I reached out to NSF directly for an update on the release timeline, and provided your feedback for comment.  I got a lengthy response today, and wanted to share.

Here are the specific issues I asked for feedback on in an effort to increase usage of Research.gov for proposal submissions, and the NSF comments, including a request:

  *   Update on the release timeline<https://www.research.gov/proposalprep/#/release-timeline>
  *   only PI's can create proposals, and since they all know Fastlane and not Research.gov, they use Fastlane to create
  *   LaTeK is still not working properly
  *   Research.gov will not accept a project description over 15 pages, which is allowed according to a solicitation

" We did make some updates in the compliance checks and added more support for LaTeX in September and December. LaTeX files have been a work in progress and we are trying to get a group together to standardize a LaTeX template for NSF submissions based on some of the successful submissions we've seen. Would you be willing to share any files that are not working, so that we can try to improve our software? Also, please know that anyone can contact our help desk any time if they are running into issues with the uploads.

The 15 page limit we are working on - the current plan is to dynamically change the limit based on the guidance in the solicitation, but we've run into issues with some of the dependencies. I hope to get this out next year. I am also working on the SPO/AOR initiation of proposals. This will require a NSF policy change, so it will be slow. It is currently our #1 request to improve the system.

We are deploying the annual PAPPG changes as well as the Delete proposal feature this month. Next quarter, we will have a big release to support Collaborative proposals with subawards. I know the incremental process we are working to deploy the new software is slow - we are working hard to replicate all the great features of FastLane as quick as we can...."

Pernille.....do you think your PI would be willing to share his documents that won't work in LaTek for NSF testing?

Let me know if you have any comments, or questions.....

Joan

Joan M. Cyr, BS, MSM, PMP
Associate Director, Research Operations and Systems
Northeastern University
Research Enterprise Services (NU-RES) | 177 Huntington Avenue | 540-177 | Boston, MA 02115
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | 617-373-6580