Print

Happy 2019!

The Boston College Digital Scholarship Group <https://ds.bc.edu> is pleased
to announce our Spring 2019 <https://ds.bc.edu/2019-spring-events/>
workshop series. Our events are free and open to the public—click on an
event title to register. We hope to see you there!

*Working with Historical Maps <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4927781> February
12, 2019, 11–12:30 pm.*
* O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Have you ever wanted to work with historical maps but didn’t know where to
start? This workshop will highlight sources for finding historical maps and
will include a hands-on georectifying exercise. No previous knowledge is
required.

*Annual Transcribe-a-thon on Douglass Day*
<http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4927788>
*February 14, 2019, 11–2:00 pm.*
*O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Join us on Frederick Douglass Day to transcribe historical documents from
the Colored Conventions Project, Boston Public Library’s Anti-Slavery
Manuscript collection, or other abolitionist-related sources.

*Endangered Data Week* <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4927852>
*February 25, 2019, 11–12:30 pm.*
* O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Mark your calendars for a special workshop during the 2019 Endangered Data
Week <http://endangereddataweek.org>!

*Fair Use <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4927866> February 26, 2019, 11–12:30
pm.*
* O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Fair Use is the right to use copyrighted works for limited purposes,
regardless of whether you have permission to do so. There are no bright
line rules for fair use; every use is context specific. This causes lots of
anxiety for scholars and we often don’t take advantage of fair use when we
could. This session will discuss the origins of Fair Use, how it works
today, and how to determine if your intended use is “Fair.” We will go over
examples and participants will be expected to make cases for and against
fair use in sample contexts.

*Caselaw Access Project* <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4928036>
*March 12, 2019, 11–12:30 pm.*
* O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

This session will share and demo the Caselaw Access Project API and bulk
data service. The Caselaw Access Project makes 360 years of U.S. caselaw
freely available online. Here, we’ll introduce the Caselaw Access Project
API and create a space for attendees to search and query the data set. The
Caselaw Access Project API was launched by the Harvard Library Innovation
Lab in Fall 2018.

*Introduction to Spatial Visualization & Analysis*
<http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4928040>
*March 14, 2019, 11–1:00 pm.*
* O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Are you interested in making an interactive map, but don’t know where to
start? In this workshop you will be introduced to the basics of GIS and
spatial thinking. We will look at and discuss different map types, use
cases, and visualization tools. Through hands-on exercises you will
deconstruct a map project to see how it was made and think about how
visualization can help you answer research questions or be used
pedagogically.

*Podcasting with Audacity* <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4928045>
*March 21, 2019, 11–12:30 pm.*
* O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

This workshop will provide an overview for getting started with making
podcasts. We will go over recording how-to’s using Audacity, best practices
when creating a podcast of your own, and how to share your recordings with
your audience.

*Introduction to Tableau <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4951689>*

*March 28, 2019, 11–12:30 pm. O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

In this workshop, participants will get an introductory, hands-on learning
experience of Tableau. The workshop will be focused on Tableau key
functions, including:

   - How to connect to data sources
   - How to create visuals and assemble them into a dashboard
   - How to publish the dashboard to the Tableau Public server

*Building a Site with WordPress* <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4928056>
*April 2, 2019, 1–2:30 pm.*
* O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Approximately 30% of all websites are built with WordPress, and the
popularity of the platform within academia for maintaining personal
scholarly identity profiles and class webpages is widespread. Whether you
want to use WordPress for purposes like these or would like to have a
better sense of the origins and functionalities of many of the websites you
use, knowing WordPress basics can facilitate an array of digital
activities. In this workshop participants will learn the fundamentals of
creating WordPress sites, explore organizational schema for digital content
and design options, and examine templates for websites with distinct
purposes.

*Creating Digital Exhibits with Omeka* <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4928060>
*April 11, 2019, 11–12:30 pm.*
* O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

In this workshop, participants will learn how to use Omeka.net to create
digital exhibits. Together we will look at examples of successful digital
exhibits. Then facilitators will demonstrate the basics of describing,
organizing, and displaying your content. Bring your own image files, or use
the sample images provided in the workshop.

*Digital Scholarship Open House* <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4928074>
*May 1, 2019, 2:30–4:30 pm.*
*O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Come see what the Digital Scholarship Group has been up to!

--
Sarah Melton
Head of Digital Scholarship

ORCID: <https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3780-5577>0000-0003-3780-5577