Dear all,

I’m writing now to share the NULab’s fall 2019 calendar of events, included below and summarized in the attached flyer. We have some very exciting talks, workshops, and panels planned for the fall, organized around our year-long theme: “technologies of democracy.” You can find additional details and registration information for these events at: www.northeastern.edu/nulab/events.

We’ll share any updates or newly-added events on the NULab events page; we’ll also circulate these through the NUDIGITAL list. If you’re not already on this list, we encourage you to subscribe: it’s a shared announcement and discussion list that brings together all areas of digital scholarship, digital humanities, computational social science, media studies, and other related fields at Northeastern University. To subscribe to the list, just visit: https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=NUdigital and click “subscribe” on the right-hand side of the page.

These events are free and open to the public, but some require registration. Guests from outside the Northeastern community who wish to attend NULab-hosted events should RSVP to Sarah Connell at [log in to unmask].

Please share this message with anyone you know who might be interested and contact me with any questions.

We hope to see you this fall!

All my best,

Laura Johnson
NULab Coordinator
Northeastern University

NULab Fall 2019 Calendar of Events
Series on Technologies of Democracy

Every Wednesday, 12–1pm, Digital Scholarship Commons (Snell Library, 2nd Floor)
DH Open Office Hours
Co-sponsored with the Digital Scholarship Group (DSG) in the Northeastern University Library

Every Thursday, 1–2pm, NULab Commons (409 Nightingale Hall)
Feminist Coding Collective

October 2, 12–1:30pm, 177 Huntington Ave., 11th Floor
Misinformation Speaker Series: Jaime Settle, College of William & Mary
“Frenemies: How Social Media Polarizes America”
Co-sponsored with the Shorenstein Center and the Department of Political Science
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/jaime-settle/

October 15, 10am–12pm, Digital Scholarship Commons
“Introduction to GitHub” Workshop
Presented by: Cara Marta Messina
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/github-2019/

October 22, 12–2pm, Alumni Center
A discussion and book signing with Jen Schradie, author of The Revolution That Wasn’t:
How Digital Activism Favors Conservatives and Brooke Foucault Welles, co-author of
#HashtagActivism: Networks of Race and Gender Justice, with Sarah J. Jackson and Moya Bailey
Co-sponsored with the Department of Sociology
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/schradie-welles/

October 30, 3–5pm, 90 Snell Library
NULab/DSG Fall Welcome
Keynote Speaker: Laura Nelson, Northeastern University, “Machine Learning is Feminist”
Co-sponsored with the DSG
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/fall-welcome-2019/

November 5, 1–2:30pm, 177 Huntington Ave., 11th Floor
Misinformation Speaker Series: Miriam Metzger, UC Santa Barbara
Co-sponsored with Shorenstein Center and the Department of Communication Studies
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/miriam-metzger/

November 13
GIS Day (event details coming soon)
Co-sponsored with the DSG and Research Data Services in the Northeastern University Library
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/gis-day-2019/

November 19, 4:30–6pm, Alumni Center
NU Books from the NULab
A discussion and reception with NULab faculty members who have recently published books
Featuring: Moya Bailey, Julia Flanders, David Lazer, Dan O’Brien, and John Wihbey
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/nu-books/

November 20, 12–1pm, Digital Scholarship Commons
NULab Seedling Research Presentation: Briony Swire-Thompson, Network Science Institute
Co-sponsored with the DSG
https://web.northeastern.edu/nulab/event/briony-swire-thompson/

--
Laura Johnson (she/her)