Dear all,

The Women Writers Project will be holding a hands-on session to brainstorm TEI markup for representing complex intertextual references on October 3, 12 to 3pm, in the Digital Scholarship Commons in Snell Library. Our goal, with your help, is to imagine new ways for markup to represent intertextuality: bring your most radical ideas! No previous experience is required, so if you’re at all interested in early women’s writing, or the more experimental aspects of TEI text encoding, please do join us.

Lunch will be provided. If you’d like to attend, please email me to RSVP and include any dietary restrictions you might have.

This event builds on our work on the NEH-funded Intertextual Networks project (https://wwp.northeastern.edu/research/projects/intertextuality/index.html), in which we identified all of the quotations, citations, and title references in the Women Writers Online collection of 400+ pre-Victorian women’s texts. After sharing some background on the project, we'll circulate a few texts that have particularly dense, interesting, or complicated intertextual features (allusions, parodies, misquotations, indirect references, and so on). The rest of the session will be devoted to experimentation, discussion, and brainstorming: how can we bend and twist the TEI to trace the full complexity of these interconnections? What is intertextuality, really?

We’re hoping that this will be a fun and useful opportunity for participants with many different levels of experience in markup and early women’s writing to learn more about text encoding and working with archival collections. If you have questions at all, or would like more information, please don’t hesitate to email me.

I hope that many of you will be able to join us!

All my best,

Sarah

Sarah Connell

Assistant Director

Women Writers Project

Northeastern University

To unsubscribe from the BOSTONDH list, click the following link:
https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=BOSTONDH