Print

Dear all,

Please find below some information about a data science + visualization challenge underway utilizing healthcare payment data publicly released by the Center for Health Information and Analysis. The challenge aims to get participants to "use this data in innovative ways to demonstrate healthcare cost transparency, educate consumers and inform Massachusetts policymakers." As the description below states, "Entrants are encouraged to use this data to help people visualize and understand the impact of healthcare costs on life in the Commonwealth."

The truncated announcement below comes from the Massachusetts eHealth Institute at MassTech. Please direct any questions to them.

Best,

Steven

We are now proud to announce that we have officially launched the Massachusetts Healthcare Payment Transparency Challenge.

Earlier this year, CHIA publicly released a dataset containing an unprecedented amount of data on the cost of medical procedures in the Commonwealth. Through the Challenge, CHIA and MeHI hope participants can use this data in innovative ways to demonstrate healthcare cost transparency, educate consumers and inform Massachusetts policymakers. Entrants are encouraged to use this data to help people visualize and understand the impact of healthcare costs on life in the Commonwealth. In particular, understanding the issues outlined in reports from the Office of the Attorney General, the Massachusetts Legislature, the Health Policy Commission, the Center for Health Information and Analysis, and the Division of Insurance.

The challenge is open from now through Thursday, February 28th. Finalists will be selected in the categories of best data visualization, best use of additional data sources, and crowd favorite. MeHI and CHIA have also reserved a finalist spot for best student (undergrad or grad) entry. The finalists will be invited to present at a Live Pitch Off event in the Boston area in April 2019 and will compete for $5,000 in cash prizes.

We believe this is an interesting opportunity for your students to engage with this unique dataset and help the Commonwealth educate consumers and policymakers on issues of healthcare costs and transparency. Students are not required to have a faculty adviser to compete. We would greatly appreciate your help in simply sharing this opportunity with your students and encouraging them to participate.

Massachusetts eHealth Institute

www.masstech.org

To unsubscribe from the NUVIS-LIST list, click the following link:
https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=NUVIS-LIST