Print

Hi! The John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural
Heritage and the Brown University Library Center for Digital Scholarship
are excited to host "Sustaining DH: An NEH Institute for Advanced Topics in
the Digital Humanities" in April 2019.

The CFP for regional participants will go out in early February (more info
here <https://sites.haa.pitt.edu/sustainabilityinstitute/brown-university/>),
but we wanted to get these dates out early because we know how busy spring
semesters can get for people scheduling and attending events!

*Sustaining DH <https://sites.haa.pitt.edu/sustainabilityinstitute/>*

*An NEH Institute for Advanced Topics in the Digital Humanities*

·         University of Pittsburgh
<https://sites.haa.pitt.edu/sustainabilityinstitute/university-of-pittsburgh/>,
December 10-11, 2018

·         Georgia Institute of Technology
<https://sites.haa.pitt.edu/sustainabilityinstitute/georgia-institute-of-technology/>,
January 17-18, 2019

·         Oklahoma State University
<https://sites.haa.pitt.edu/sustainabilityinstitute/oklahoma-state-university/>,
February 28-March 1, 2019

·         *Brown University
<https://sites.haa.pitt.edu/sustainabilityinstitute/brown-university/>,
April 4-5, 2019*

·         Brigham Young University
<https://sites.haa.pitt.edu/sustainabilityinstitute/brigham-young-university/>,
May 16-17, 2019

The ongoing sustainability of digital humanities projects is of critical
concern to archivists, librarians, and digital humanities practitioners
alike. This NEH ODH Institute for Advanced Topics in the Digital Humanities
is designed to help such professionals create sustainability plans and
address preservation concerns *at any point in the life of a digital
humanities project*.

[image:
https://sites.haa.pitt.edu/nehsustainabilityworkshops/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2018/09/Map.jpg]These
workshops will be based on the Socio-Technical Sustainability Roadmap
<http://sustainingdh.net/> (STSR), a sustainability project housed in
the Visual
Media Workshop <https://www.haa.pitt.edu/visual-media-workshop> at the
University of Pittsburgh. The STSR is a structured group exercise that
guides participants through the practice of creating effective
sustainability plans. It is based on research findings that demonstrate
that the needs of a project’s social infrastructure must be addressed
alongside the needs of its technological infrastructure in order to
successfully sustain digital work over time.

The Sustaining DH project team has selected host institutions from across
the contiguous United States in an effort to reach the largest, most
diverse number of participants. We strongly encourage participation from
humanists and librarians who work with underrepresented communities or who
are being trained to work with diverse, expansive publics.

Each Sustaining DH Workshop is designed to accommodate approximately 25
people, most working in teams of two or three, and will focus on attracting
participants from the region surrounding the chosen sites. We will be able
to offer $1,000 travel bursaries to those participants who will need to
travel in from the local area. We expect the participants who attend this
workshop to leave not only with a well-documented and effective
sustainability strategy for their digital work, but also with the ability
to employ the Socio-Technical Sustainability Roadmap for all of their
projects on an ongoing basis.

Further information on the application dates for each workshop and
application requirements can be found on the Institute’s website
<https://sites.haa.pitt.edu/sustainabilityinstitute/>. Should you have any
additional questions about the workshops and/or the application
process, *please
do not hesitate to be in touch with the Institute’s facilitators*, Alison
Langmead, Aisling Quigley, and Chelsea Gunn, at [log in to unmask]

We will also be holding weekly “virtual office hours” *after October 1,
2018* during which we will be available to answer questions about both this
NEH-funded Institute and also any digital-humanities-focused sustainability
questions you might have. Please check the Institute’s website
<https://sites.haa.pitt.edu/sustainabilityinstitute/> for further
information about the dates and virtual locations for this avenue of
assistance.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Jim McGrath, Ph.D
Postdoctoral Fellow in Digital Public Humanities
John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Heritage
<http://www.brown.edu/academics/public-humanities/>
Brown University
Twitter: @JimMc_Grath <http://twitter.com/jimmc_grath>