Print

Greetings,

I'm excited to announce the Fall 2018 Boston College Digital Scholarship
workshop series <https://ds.bc.edu/2018-fall-events/>. Our offerings this
semester range from personal privacy and security to data visualization to
textual analysis, and more! This semester, we'll be offering our Coffee &
Code series, as well as a new initiative we're calling Crowd Cafe, hosted
in collaboration with our Boston University colleagues.

We hope to see you there!

*Coffee & Code:*

*How to Stay Safe & Secure Online September 12, 2018, 11-12:30 pm.*
* O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Feeling freaked out by all the cyber breaches lately? Want to plan an
activist movement but want to stay safe? Or do you simply want to use
online dating services without getting stalked? Join us in this workshop to
learn about digital privacy. We’ll go over how to use tools to protect
yourself online, as well as what to do if you’ve been hacked, harassed, or
otherwise victimized online.

This event is free and open to the public, but we kindly request that you
register <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540656>.

*Basics of Spatial Visualization September 19, 2018, 11-12:30 pm. O’Neill
Library, Digital Studio, Room 205 *

Are you interested in making an interactive map, but don’t know where to
start? In this workshop you will be introduced to basics terms and elements
commonly used in GIS work. We will look at and discuss different map types,
use cases, and visualization tools. Through hands-on exercises you will
deconstruct a map project to see how it was made and think about how a
visualization would help you answer research questions or be used
pedagogically.

This event is free and open to the public, but we kindly request that you
register <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540710>.

*Intro to Tableau September 25, 2018 and October 16, 2018, 3-4:30 pm.
O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205 *

In this workshop, participants will get an introductory, hands-on learning
experience of Tableau. The workshop will be focused on Tableau key
functions, including:

–How to connect to data sources
–How to create visuals and assemble them into a dashboard
–How to publish the dashboard to the Tableau Public server

This event is free and open to the public, but we kindly request that you
register for the September 25 <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540722> or October
16 <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540735> session. You do not need to attend
both sessions.

*Introduction to Spatial Visualization & Analysis September 27, 2018,
11-12:30 pm. O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

This workshop will introduce participants to visualizing spatial data,
creating maps with points and polygons, and performing basic data analysis
with Carto <https://carto.com/>. Participants will get a hands-on
experience using the Carto platform, learn how to geocode point data in
OpenRefine <http://openrefine.org/> using GREL string functions, and review
examples and resources for georeferencing maps and adding basemaps.

This event is free and open to the public, but we kindly request that you
register <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540756>.

*Developing Your Online Scholarly Identity*

*October 4, 2018, 11-12:30 pm. O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Are you preparing to enter the job market? Do you have an online presence
that accurately reflects your interests, experience, and professional
persona? During this workshop, you will:

–Explore other people’s professional websites to identify components you’d
like and components you’d like to add
–Learn how to host your own web presence
–Identify platforms for creating your professional website

You’ll leave with a plan for how you’d like to represent yourself online
and knowledge of what tools and platforms you can use to create your
persona.

This event is free and open to the public, but we kindly request that you
register. <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540777>

*Creating and Distributing Promotional Materials Using Web-Based Tools
October 18, 2018, 11-12:30 pm. O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205 *

In this workshop, participants will get an introductory experience of
several free, web-based tools with the goal of creating promotional
materials to effectively reach your target audience. In this workshop we
will also discuss best practices, social media strategies, and branding.

This event is free and open to the public, but we kindly request that you
register <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540787>.

*Creating Digital Exhibits with Omeka*
*October 24, 2018, 1:30-3 pm*
*O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

In this workshop, participants will learn how to use Omeka.net to create
digital exhibits. Together we will look at examples of sucessful digital
exhibits. Then facilitators will demonstrate the basics of describing,
organizing, and displaying your content. Bring your own image files, or use
the sample images provided in the workshop.

This event is free and open to the public, but we kindly request that you
register <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540797>.

*Georectifying Historical Maps Using ArcMap*
*November 14, 2018,*
*11-12:30 pm. O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Celebrate GIS Day by georectifying a historical map! Georectifying is the
process of taking an image, like an aerial photograph or a print map, and
aligning it with a spatial coordinate system. In this workshop,
participants will georectify an 1844 street map of Boston using ArcMap and
then add points that locate nineteenth-century churches.

This event is free and open to the public, but we kindly request that you
register <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540810>.

*Intro to Text Encoding*

*November 15, 2018, 11-12:30 pm. O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

This workshop will introduce participants to the basics of text encoding
with focus on document analysis, metadata header creation, and encoding
examples. We will also provide an introduction to the TAPAS Platform
<http://www.tapasproject.org>. Participants will learn how to encode
according to the TEI guidelines <http://www.tei-c.org/guidelines/p5>,
validate an XML file, and render their XML file. Text samples will be
provided during the workshop, but participants are welcome to bring their
own texts.

This event is free and open to the public, but we kindly request that you
register <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540816>.

*Text Analysis with Voyant*
*November 28, 2018, 1:30-3 pm*
*O’Neill Library, Digital Studio, Room 205*

Voyant-tools.org is a free, web-based suite of tools that enables a range
of textual analysis techniques. Used imaginatively, it can guide inquiries
into writing style, semantic bias, and author attribution. In this session
we’ll apply Voyant’s features to different kinds of texts, discussing the
nature of textuality and how to combine digital textual analysis with
traditional close reading, and end with an introduction to topic modeling.
Along the way we’ll investigate how to use textual analysis and tools like
Voyant in classroom assignments and your own research projects.

This event is free and open to the public, but we kindly request that you
register <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4540825>.

*Crowd Cafe:*
A collaboration with our colleagues at Boston University
<http://www.bu.edu/disc/>, Crowd Cafe is a monthly informal gathering for
people wishing to contribute to crowdsourced projects. We will provide
in-person and online hosting, camaraderie, and light direction help as
needed. You, we hope, will provide human power for projects of your
choosing.

*What crowdsourced projects?*

Any projects you like. Wikipedia editing, historical document
transcription, annotation of satellite images to aid in disaster relief
efforts. We’ve made a list of projects seeking help — there are many — and
are adding to it; see link below.

*Who can participate?*

Anyone with a reasonably recent laptop or desktop computer (tablets and
phones tend to be pretty painful to use for these projects), an internet
connection, and some time. Barriers to entry vary, but are generally pretty
low. We’ll help you get started if you like.

Often, no specialized expertise is required; there are projects to which
middle and high schoolers could meaningfully contribute. Other projects
benefit from more experience, whether it be the ability to read 19th
century American handwriting and decipher common abbreviations, or
expertise in a field of research relevant to a Wikipedia article.

Crowd Cafe will take place on the *third Friday of every month, 1-3 pm US
Eastern time*:
September 21 <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4486427>
October 19 <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4486428>
November 16 <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4486429>
December 21 <http://libcal.bc.edu/event/4486430>

You may join us:

   - in person — current hosts include BU and BC;
   - via a Zoom meeting;
   - on Twitter via the #crowdcafe hashtag

More information, including rationale, locations, and a list of
crowdsourced projects, is at https://is.gd/crowdcafe
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__is.gd_crowdcafe&d=DwMDaQ&c=c6MrceVCY5m5A_KAUkrdoA&r=BiOdm14HIqqmQn_hGD1d1XjQvaSspHxL6DF1j96_I9s&m=DptxBLTPIedLIKMzmz8SYktk4xyELu8qNvWxm5VXUUE&s=rIKZJx6cydyBeN2jH0mHEsM3kZrWHFJVSgS9wjUJxAQ&e=>
.

Sarah

--
Sarah Melton