Print

Hi! See below: we're really excited about this upcoming event series and hope some of you can make it to some (or all!) of these November programs at Brown! Please feel free to email me for more info (and see the attached flier!).

Reading, Resisting, and Reimagining The Map

A series of events that ask us to think about the uses of maps, data, and visualizations in the stories we tell about place, identity, and migration. Events hosted by the John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Heritage, the Brown University Library Center for Digital Scholarship, and the John Carter Brown Library.

Visualizing Precarious Lives in Torn Apart / Separados

Thursday, November 1st, 12:00pm-1:00pm

Lecture Room (1st Floor), Nightingale-Brown House (357 Benefit St.), John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Heritage

Dr. Roopika Risam (Assistant Professor of English, Salem State University) discusses her work on Torn Apart / Separados, a highly-collaborative project that uses digital tools to reveal troubling stories about immigration policy, incarceration, and the humanitarian crisis caused by the work of ICE in the United States.

Before There Were Lines Along the Rio Grande

Friday, November 2nd, 12:00pm-1:00pm

MacMillan Reading Room, John Carter Brown Library

Drawing on the rich collection of rare books and maps at the JCB, curators, librarians, and researchers will provide a critical context for how northern Mexico and what would become the southern United States was experienced during a colonial era that predated the modern nation-state. A historical perspective enables us to understand how these liminal spaces were imagined in an era before electronic surveillance and satellite imagery.

Thinking Critically About Data

Tuesday, November 6th,  3:00pm-4:00pm

Digital Scholarship Lab, Rockefeller Library

Data sets tell stories, support arguments, and help us map and visualize information, but they aren’t neutral. How do you create and visualize data points that aren’t stable, such as data models of identity (e.g. race, gender)? How can we create data models that reflect people’s lived experiences? In this workshop, we’ll analyze and create a dataset, exploring what our data says and what it doesn’t.

Jim McGrath, Ph.D
Postdoctoral Fellow in Digital Public Humanities
Brown University
Twitter: @JimMc_Grath

To unsubscribe from the BOSTONDH list, click the following link:
https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=BOSTONDH