Symposium: Follow the Map: Reflecting on 200 Years of the Harvard Map Collection

25 - 26 October 2018

Harvard Library, Cambridge, MA

An interdisciplinary symposium hosted by the Harvard Library and made possible through the generous gift of Abby Smith Rumsey, AB Radcliffe College, MA, PhD Harvard.

Marking the 200th anniversary of the Harvard Map Collection, we will be hosting an interdisciplinary symposium that will reflect on the past, present, and future of cartographic collections. Held in conjunction with our exhibition, “Follow the Map: The Harvard Map Collection at 200,” this symposium will investigate the origins of the Harvard Map Collection to consider the historical meaning of map collecting while also looking forward to the changing nature of those collections in an age of geospatial data.

The symposium will begin at 4 p.m. on 25 October with a keynote by Susan Schulten, Professor of History at the University of Denver, followed by a reception and viewing of our bicentennial exhibition. On 26 October, the symposium will host a full day of talks, with lunch included. We hope everyone from map-lovers to newcomers interested in teaching and researching with maps will come away inspired to use maps and geospatial data in their lives and work!

More details will be available at our bicentennial website, harvardmaps200.org

The conference is free and open to the public, but registration is required. To register, please visit https://harvardmaps200.eventbrite.com

--

David Weimer

Librarian for Cartographic Collections and Learning

Harvard Map Collection, Pusey Library, Cambridge MA 02138

617-496-3670

http://scholar.harvard.edu/weimer

https://www.instagram.com/harvardmaps

https://library.harvard.edu/libraries/harvard-map-collection

To unsubscribe from the BOSTONDH list, click the following link:
https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=BOSTONDH