Great DH!

I sent the link to Lexington Town Meeting Members!

Ruth

From: List for communications related to Boston-area DH consortial activities <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Vika Zafrin <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2018 5:56:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Torn Apart is live

Thanks to those of you who have emailed with reactions. I've passed them on to the creators.

If you're interested in contributing, there's a collective peer review and data gathering effort you can contribute to. Details and a submission form are here.

I won't keep updating you on the progress of this project here — that would get tedious — but since people have asked through the back channel, this is a pragmatic place to start.

-Vika

--
Dr. Vika Zafrin
Digital Scholarship Librarian

Vika Zafrin wrote:
Dear all,

Yesterday, Torn Apart / Separados went live. This project was conceived and initially executed by Manan Ahmed (Columbia), Maira Álvarez (U Houston), Sylvia Fernández (U Houston), Alex Gil (Columbia), Merisa Martinez (U Borĺs), Moacir de Sá Pereira (NYU), Linda Rodriguez (NYU), and Roopika Risam (Salem State). It pulls together all the publicly available data these researchers could find on family separation at the US-Mexico border, and offers powerful visualizations of it.

Wired picked this up and wrote an article on it.

Here at DH2018, the team is running two hackathons (yesterday and Friday) to continue the work, which is just beginning. I don't know what opportunities there will be to contribute remotely or when, but if you are interested in doing so, please keep an eye on the #TornApart and #Separados hash tags on Twitter.

This is digital humanities at its best, folks. They pulled the site together in a week. The topic could not be more timely. And at this year's DH conference, with its Bridges/Puentes theme, we're rolling up our sleeves.

-Vika

--
Dr. Vika Zafrin
Digital Scholarship Librarian
Boston University
+1 617.358.6370 | bu.edu/disc

To unsubscribe from the BOSTONDH list, click the following link:
http://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?TICKET=NzM2OTA4IHJ0aG9tYXNAQlUuRURVIEJPU1RPTkRIIIGK5kGYROLu&c=SIGNOFF

To unsubscribe from the BOSTONDH list, click the following link:
https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=BOSTONDH