NUCare and Personal Health Informatics present 'Kinect'ing with Clinicians: Exploring the role of motivation and engagement in virtual reality and active video game use in rehabilitation [New seminar location! 102 East Village 291 Saint Botolph St.][cid:[log in to unmask]] Monday, October 17, 2016 12:00 - 1:00 PM Followed by a discussion with the speaker and light refreshments Speaker: Danielle Levac, PhD Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, Movement and Rehabilitation Sciences Bouvé College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University Abstract: Motivation and engagement in rehabilitation can directly and indirectly impact motor learning after neurological injury by increasing practice dosage and/or influencing neuro-chemical mechanisms of memory consolidation. Virtual environments, including virtual reality systems and active video games, are increasingly popular rehabilitation interventions in part because of their motivating and engaging attributes. This talk will highlight the theoretical rationale and empirical evidence for how practice in a virtual environment may promote motivation and engagement and enhance motor learning in pediatric and adult neurological populations. About the speaker: Dr. Levac directs the Rehabilitation Games and Virtual Reality (ReGameVR) Laboratory. Dr. Levac's research interests involve searching for rehabilitation strategies that effectively engage client participation and promote motor learning. In particular, using virtual reality (VR) and active video gaming systems to promote motor learning in pediatric and adult neurological populations. With her research, she aims to expand our current knowledge of how therapists can use this technology to promote motor learning. Join us every Monday at 12:00 noon at 102 East Village from September 19th through December 5th (excluding holidays) Upcoming seminars: 10/24 Can we change our sedentary, car-dominated culture? A "crazy" proposal to support active commuting via bicycling via technology Presented by Stephen Intille, PhD, Associate Professor, Bouvé College of Health Sciences and College of Computer and Information Science 10/31 PHI student presentations Presented by Oliver Wilder-Smith and Aditya Ponnada, candidates for PhD in Personal Health Informatics See the whole schedule. Never miss a seminar announcement! Join our listserv. ######################################################################## To unsubscribe from the NUCARE list, click the following link: https://listserv.neu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=NUCARE