]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BOSTONDH Home

BOSTONDH  2022

BOSTONDH 2022

Adjunct Instructor Sought for UConn Storrs Digital Media Course

clarissa ceglio <[log in to unmask]>

Boston and New England Digital Humanities <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:41:01 -0400

text/plain

UConn's Digital Media & Design Department is looking for an instructor to teach DMD 3010W "Critical Perspectives on Digital Media" in-person in Spring semester 2022 at the Storrs campus. Qualifications include experience teaching writing craft along with a background in media studies, cultural studies, digital humanities, American Studies, English, OR similar fields that consider production, dissemination, reception, remix, and and interpretation of digital content through critical frameworks. Please see course description and objectives below.

Contact person: Marcella Vertefeuille <[log in to unmask]>

Course Description

Digital media software and hardware take many forms, many of which are routine parts of our daily lives. We are accustomed to thinking of digital media as sources of information and entertainment, as integral to our work, play and social existence. Too often, however, we do not reflect on how digital media function as a form of cultural power. Or on how their technical construction influences our daily thoughts and actions. This course explores the nature of that power and influence by asking:

How do digital media shape our thoughts about what it means to be human?
How do the technologies that we use reflect and create ideas about who we are—and our sense of where we do or do not belong?
How do the various types of digital media we use and consume shape we can become as individuals and as collectives?

Learning Objectives - You will have the opportunity to:

Think critically about digital “texts,” broadly defined, by considering issues of rhetoric as well as the historical and cultural contexts of production, circulation, reception, and use.

Recognize how digital media are shaped by and participate in the social construction of race, gender, citizenship, and other forms of identity.

Become more adept communicators by engaging with writing as a progressive process of creation, reflection, and refinement.