]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BOSTONDH Home

BOSTONDH  2019

BOSTONDH 2019

[ANN] Call for Participation: Symposium on Markup Vocabulary Customization

Syd Bauman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Mar 2019 09:49:47 -0400

text/plain

 Markup Vocabulary Customization
 a Balisage pre-conference symposium
 Monday 29 July 2019
 Cambria Hotel, Rockville, Maryland
 Chair: Syd Bauman, Northeastern University

THE SYMPOSIUM

Many shared XML vocabularies (tag sets) are built to be customized.
That is, users are provided with a vocabulary, a grammar, and some
documentation describing how to customize the vocabulary. Various
aspects of any or all of these may be modifiable by the user.

This symposium will examine various customization mechanisms and
their ecosystems. How are structures added/subtracted/changed? Are
customization tools provided? Is there support for documenting
customizations? How does a user know which customizations would
“break" the tool or vocabulary? Can you easily compare a
customization to the base vocabulary? To another customization?

Details at:
https://www.balisage.net/VocabularyCustomization/

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

If you have experience with customization of a shared vocabulary,
whether as a user, creator, sponsor, or someone who has to write
software to support it, we’re interested in hearing from you!

What sorts of customizations should we discuss?

We hope to find out how several vocabularies accommodate
customization, with examples. Are customizations such as name
changes, tighter versions of the schema, added elements, etc., of
interest to you? Are there any other types of customizations you
might like to see of TEI, JATS, DITA, DocBook, or another
customizable vocabulary? Send email about what vocabulary
customizations you want discussed to [log in to unmask]

Contribute a short paper! Topics might include, but are not limited to:
 * case presentations: project descriptions and/or war stories
 * opinions on what should (or should not) be customizable and why
 * theoretical examination of customizations: when is customization
   useful? When has a system been customized so much it is instead a
   different system?
 * utilitarian consideration of customizations: does a customization
   have to be shared to be useful?
 * practical examination of tools designed to handle both vanilla and
   customized input

Details at:
https://www.balisage.net/VocabularyCustomization/CFP.html

Help
----
Just ask. Send e-mail to [log in to unmask] for help, advice, or
encouragement about a symposium submission. Wonder if your idea will
fit in at this symposium? Ask us! Need help making your paper or
proposal into XML as required for submission? Speak up; we’ll find
someone to help. The only thing we won’t do is customize our schema[1]
for you. :-)

Dates
-----
12 April 2019 — Paper submissions due
13 May 2019 — Speakers notified
12 July 2019 — Final papers due
29 July 2019 — Pre-conference Symposium on Markup Vocabulary Customization
30 July – 2 August 2019 — Balisage: The Markup Conference
         https://www.balisage.net/

How
---
Submit proposals (either roughly 350-word abstracts, or short papers)
in XML to [log in to unmask] See the pages Instructions for Authors
(https://www.balisage.net/authorinstructions.html) and Tag Set and
Submission Guidelines (https://www.balisage.net/submissions.html) for
details.

Notes
-----
[1] Our schema (https://www.balisage.net/tagset.html) is itself a
    strict subset of Docbook V5, and is carved in stone. It’s hard
    enough to put together a conference when everyone uses the same
    schema, we don’t want to even imagine it with twenty variations
    thereof.